my website

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Oh Dear...

Hmmm...where to start....I unpacked the kiln this evening. Not very successful. However, this was mostly my own fault, so I can't complain.
I only have a few pics to show you today, because it was dark when the kiln finished and I haven't had much time to check everything out yet.
The first pic below shows just how wrong things went:



You may have seen this vase before, but when it came out of the kiln before Christmas there was a small patch missing glaze. So I touched it up yesterday and it went in for the firing. Unfortunately it was near the very large vase I had loaded with glaze. Really loaded! This vase was at least 2 inches away from it, but the glaze from the large vase still bloomed out so far it left the patch you can see on this!
So both vases were ruined. However, the glaze looks really good. It was created when I poured a copper glaze and a manganese glaze over the large vase. They have combined in the firing and created the swirly blue-green effect as you can see. I'll take some better pics tomorrow of this and the large vase so that you can see just how stupid I have been.



This next pic shows one of the beakers from a set of six. These came out of the kiln looking very nice. They had been sat around for some time waiting to be glazed because they were made for a spouted pitcher which was damaged when another pot exploded in the kiln before Christmas (see earlier posts) and because of this I had no reason to glaze them until I had spare space in the kiln.


These are a selection of the brush rests I spoke of in the last post. They came out well and although very simple, will be a useful addition to the studio, as well as gifts for artist friends (who, I'm sure, will appreciate them).


That's all for today. As a mentioned I haven't had time to check everything yet, but I didn't want to let you down and not share the results. I'll post more pics tomorrow, which I hope will be of better quality (it was too dark to get any properly focused pics tonight, without using the flash).
Thanks for visiting.

3 comments:

  1. That's amazing that the glaze jumped 2 inches. The color is pretty. The glaze on the beaker is very nice too. Did you fire the Terra Sig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindy, yes I have fired the t.sig pot. I will include it in my next posting.
    Mark.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. Feel free to leave comments. Please leave your name so that I can reply to any questions you may have.