my website

Monday, November 2, 2009

Still Busy

Thought I had better let you know what I have been doing for the last few days: Over the weekend I have been working on a vase which I have used as a test to carve into the surface.

Above you can see a pic. of it. It is a fair size approx 10" and the carving turned out as I wanted (which is always a positive sign that I am starting to get to grips with my materials). Over all of it I sprayed white slip and at the bottom at lightly at the top I have sprayed a thin layer of white slip with a small copper oxide addition. In theory this means that it should be slightly green at these points after it is fired.
I have loaded the kiln today and all the vases, the huge bowl and various other things are being fired right now. The above vase would not fit into the kiln, which is probably just as well as it hasn't completely dried out yet.
For the rest of the day today I have been cleaning up and re-arranging the studio. I, with the help of my neighbour Simon (I would have killed myself trying to move it on my own, so a big thank-you to Simon) moved my huge bench from under the window. I will take some pics. tomorrow when I tidy up. I needed to move it so that I can take better advantage of the lighting within the studio. When doing sculpture I have struggled recently as the light was behind the objects I have been working on throwing them into shadow. I just hope it was worth it!
That's all for now. Will take phtos of the latest firing and let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. Feel free to leave comments. Please leave your name so that I can reply to any questions you may have.