my website

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

One Hundred Percent!

I barrel fired the latest batch of vases etc. last night and here are the resulting pics:


1. Here is the bin. I changed things this time, making sure there was a thick layer of shavings on the top layer (approx 2" deep). I also, as you can see, placed a couple of iron bars across the top of the bin to support the lid leaving a gap of an inch or so to allow air to circulate. I also blocked up the holes in the side.


After the last firing I decided the reason some pots cracked was because the shavings on the top layer weren't deep enough and the heat from the fire I build to start the shavings burning affected them. I tried to remember how I had packed the bin and realised that the pots on top were the main ones to crack. Anyway I approached the bin this morning opened the lid and peeped inside. (In case you wonder: I used tin foil to fill the holes and wrapped a sheet around the inside).



I took them out and brushed them down. No cracks!



I gave them a wash...and still couldn't find a fault anywhere.



A good polish later:



You can click on the photo above to zoom in. I'm chuffed with the results.

Today I have packed the bin again. This time with all the carved pots! I'm just hoping for the 100 percent success rate again. Wish me luck.
Thanks for visiting.

2 comments:

  1. yeah! pots look great! i think it's really cool the way you've been experimenting lately. i'm afraid i would have been discouraged after the first firing. thanks for posting all about it too, i've been thinking of trying this method out and you've saved me a lot of trouble! i can't wait to see how all the carved pots come out! well done mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful! I love what you do. I am a 43 year old woman, going back to school to study Art. My goal, have my own studio to be able to teach pottery and painting. And it's because of passionate people like you, that people like me, get the courage to dream, big dreams. Please continu what you are doing. Thank you. Claudine.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. Feel free to leave comments. Please leave your name so that I can reply to any questions you may have.