1. Here is the bin. I changed things this time, making sure there was a thick layer of shavings on the top layer (approx 2" deep). I also, as you can see, placed a couple of iron bars across the top of the bin to support the lid leaving a gap of an inch or so to allow air to circulate. I also blocked up the holes in the side.
After the last firing I decided the reason some pots cracked was because the shavings on the top layer weren't deep enough and the heat from the fire I build to start the shavings burning affected them. I tried to remember how I had packed the bin and realised that the pots on top were the main ones to crack. Anyway I approached the bin this morning opened the lid and peeped inside. (In case you wonder: I used tin foil to fill the holes and wrapped a sheet around the inside).
I took them out and brushed them down. No cracks!
I gave them a wash...and still couldn't find a fault anywhere.
A good polish later:
You can click on the photo above to zoom in. I'm chuffed with the results.
Today I have packed the bin again. This time with all the carved pots! I'm just hoping for the 100 percent success rate again. Wish me luck.
Thanks for visiting.